Week 1: Welcome to Edinburgh!

It has been exactly 12 days since I moved here and I am loving it so far! I flew in on Wednesday 2nd of September and promptly got locked out of my new apartment. Got in eventually and saw the flat for the first time. It's small but cosy, clean but cluttered, and I feel really at home here. The girls I'm living with are very easy going and they remind me a few of my friends in Ireland so we're getting along like a house on fire. Both are involved in publishing so they probably have almost 1,000 books between them. It's like having access to our own private library! Speaking of which, I also joined the Edinburgh central library. I never joined the one in Cork and now I feel like I suddenly have access to this amazing building full of free books. Seriously, why does anyone ever buy them!




My friend count at the moment is: 6, if you use the term "friend" loosely... There's Laura and Stevie; the two lovely girls I live with, Phoebe; a friend from work who moved here around the same time, Tom; a friend of a friend who I was introduced to once, Chris; Tom's housemate, and my cousin Eleanor who is here to do a masters. On a social level I've been out with the girls for welcome drinks, I went to a gay bar with Tom and Chris called CC Blooms that had a superb playlist, dinner with my cousin, and drinks with Laura and Tom plus a group of Tom's friends who were a fun bunch. While we were at the last set of drinks I may have accidentally hit on the boyfriend of the birthday girl who's drinks we were gatecrashing...Woops.


Stevie and Laura! They were super pleased when I whipped out my camera....


As an unemployed freeloader I have had a lot of time on my hands so I've just been wandering through the city and getting to know my way around. Edinburgh city is really beautiful. But more than that, it has character! Loads of the streets kind of meander in whatever direction they want, uphill, downhill, around in a circle, slightly underground, etc. It's just fun to follow a random street and see where you end up! One day I ended up somewhere at a crossroads and there was a sign on the wall that said "not all those who wander are lost" which seemed pretty accurate.


Victoria Street, which magically transforms into two levels


My apartment is right beside The Meadows park which is lovely to walk around. I've gone for a few strolls over the past week and just enjoyed watching the hot lads playing football, and seeing all the cute dogs around the place. However, I was informed that there were some late night rapes in that area about a year ago so it has lost some of its charm now... In cultural news I went around the National Museum with Tom today and we had good craic. There are some fun games in the animal section that may have technically been for  children but we crushed it! I'm enjoying doing some solitary exploring but I do prefer when there's someone to keep me company and make it more fun :)


Look how peaceful he is



Comments